General Engagement Letter for Tax Return Preparation
This letter is to inform you of the services I will provide you, and the responsibilities you have for preparation of your tax return.
Tax Return Preparation
- I will prepare your federal and state tax returns based on information you provide. Services for preparation of your return do not include auditing or verification of information provided by you.
- This engagement does not include any audit or examination of your books or records. In the event your return is audited, you will be responsible for verifying the items reported.
- Fees charged for tax return preparation do not include audit representation.
- Preparation fees do cover limited assistance and consultation during the year. If you get a letter from the IRS, please contact me right away. I am happy to help. If the response requires a complex or lengthy response, I will discuss options with you, and we will come up with a plan.
- The engagement to prepare your tax returns terminates upon delivery of your completed returns and original documents to you. Please store your supporting documents and copies of your tax returns in a secure place for at least seven years. You may be assessed a fee if you request a copy in the future. Your tax return is also accessible to you on the client portal, which you can access via my website.
- You agree to provide all income and deductible expense information. If you receive additional information after I begin working on your return, please contact me immediately to ensure your completed tax returns contain all relevant information.
- You affirm that all expenses or other deduction amounts are accurate and that you have all required supporting written records. In some cases, I will ask to review your documentation.
- You must be able to provide written records of all items included on your return if audited by either the IRS (or state tax authority). I can provide guidance concerning what evidence is acceptable.
- Please review the return carefully before signing to make sure the information is correct.
- Fees must be paid before your tax return is delivered to you or filed for you. If you terminate this engagement before completion, you agree to pay a fee for work completed. A retainer may be required for preparation of late returns.
By signing below, you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and accept your obligations and responsibilities and that you understand my responsibilities in preparing your tax returns as explained above. For a joint return, both taxpayers must sign.